Soooo I’m excited.
Why, you ask?
Because I just got an iPhone that I get to fill with delicious Apps like Shakespeare Pro!!!
Now, I’m not getting paid to go on about this App, iPhones, Apple, or anything like that. I just feel that if you, like me, are a bardolator, you’ll appreciate the breakdown!
- it contains every Shakespeare play (including one that may or may not be: Double Falsehood)
- and every poem he’s written – sonnets, epics, and all!
- A concordance, which is basically a search engine of all these works. You want to know if Shakespeare ever used the word ‘sex’? Type it into the concordance and you’ll find out if and where!
And, dear Reader, you’ll be happy to know that those resources are all available on the free App, Shakespeare!
What makes Shakespeare PRO so worth the 2.99?
- Enhanced text reading- Choose from a variety of color combinations, change font family or size, display long or short character names, and toggle line numbers.
- Scene Breakdowns- Get an overview of the scenes within a play, their locations, and the characters present in each.
- Tales from Shakespeare- A series of 20 short versions of Shakespeare’s plays aimed at a younger audience.
- Bookmarks- In addition to remembering the last page you view for each play, you can save an unlimited number of bookmarks to locate that exact line you’re looking for.
- Glossary- The most powerful new feature of Shakespeare Pro is a searchable glossary based on the bestselling lexicon by David & Ben Crystal, Shakespeare’s Words. You can also activate the inline glossary to see all the glossary entries while reading the text. Simply tap on a word to see its meaning. You’ll never look a word up in the dictionary again.
- Random Quotes- There are many memorable quotes in Shakespeare’s works. Simply shake your device for a random quote.
- Portrait Gallery- Browse a gallery of famous Shakespeare portraits.
- Facts and Scansion- Read up on Shakespeare’s life, data on his works, and and overview of scansion terminology.
Additional new features include Copy/Paste functionality, scene navigation, and an auto-scroll function. The auto-scroll automatically scrolls the text as you read and you control the speed by tilting your device—even turn your device into a mini-teleprompter.
A word of warning, though: this app is meant to be used for fun and quick reference, not for essay sourcing. The search function is still a work in progress, and there are some omissions and errors, but all in all I think that this app is brilliant and will only get better with each upgrade! Check it out!!!
…thanks to http://www.playshakespeare.com/ for that succinct list and all their hard work!